Create Your Free WordPress Child Themes
Child Theme Generator
Use WP Child Themes to quickly and easily generate a child theme.
Also create a child theme for popular themes like the Genesis,
Astra, Storefront and more with our theme specific child theme generators.
Create Your Child Theme
Follow the steps below to create your WordPress child theme.
- Parent Theme: Enter the name of your theme (parent theme). This needs to match the folder name of your parent theme exactly - case sensitive.
- Child Theme Name: Enter the name for your child theme.
- Author Name: Enter the author name for your child theme.
- Author URL: Enter the author URL for your child theme. Include http(s):// as this will be an active link in the WP dashboard.
- Theme Description: Enter a description for your child theme. This will be visible in the WP dashboard.
- Generate Child Theme: Click Generate Child Theme to create your child theme. This will download as a .zip file. You can install your child theme via 'Appearances' > 'Themes' like any other WordPress theme.
WordPress Child Theme Generator
WordPress Child Themes
Why use a child theme?
It is bad practice to edit your theme's files directly. If the author decides to make an update or if you have auto-update enabled (whether you know it or not) the edits you have made in the parent theme will be gone.
Using a WordPress child theme for your parent theme allows you to make changes that will remain intact after any updates made to the parent theme.
WP Child Themes suggest you make it a habit of creating a child theme for your parent theme at the beginning of every new WordPress site you create. So use a free child theme generator from WP Child Themes.